Back in June 2012, Microsoft had announced the Windows Phone 7.8 (WP 7.8) update for Windows Phone 7.5 (WP 7.5) users, but didn’t give out much details around the update or its release date. A start screen similar to Windows Phone 8 (WP 8) is the only official information till date. There have been various leaks and even confirmations for Nokia, but now a leaked Nokia presentation slide on WP 7.8 lists the various features. Recently, WP Brazil tweeted about the WP 7.8 release date around Q1 2013.
According to the leaked Nokia document from China, the WP 7.8 features a new start screen like WP 8, along with a new updated Internet Explorer 9 (no IE 10), more color themes, edit MP3 files for ringtones and more. Here’s a full list from the leaked document:
- WP 8 like live tiles with added resizing options
- 20 color themes for your phone
- IE 9 upgrades
- Edit MP3 files, and set them as ringtones
- Access to Windows Phone lock screen to set Bing wallpapers
Nokia had officially announced the Windows Phone 7.8 updates, with added features from Nokia:
- Ringtone maker app to selected markets to create a personal ringtone
- Contact share app updated to support sharing over Bluetooth in addition to SMS and email
- Bluetooth file transfer to send media files via Bluetooth from your Lumia device to any other phone
- Cinemagraph and updates to Smart Group Shot with some additional surprises to make photo shooting and sharing as easy as possible
While most of these features are already known, this leaked Nokia document makes it more certain. Microsoft had said that other features of WP 8 are dependent on multi-cores, and hence will not be available for older Windows Phone devices.
All Windows Phone 7.5 devices are most likely to be eligible for the update. Windows Phone Brazil had recently tweeted that WP 7.8 upgrade could be expected around Q1 2013.
Olá @riedijr, a previsão é que a atualização para o 7.8 no Brasil ocorra no primeiro trimestre de 2013.
— Windows Phone Brasil (@windowsphonebr) November 12, 2012
(Translation: Hello @ riedijr , the prediction is that the upgrade to 7.8 in Brazil occur in the first quarter of 2013.)
Are you eagerly waiting for the update? Share your thoughts below.